J. Stephen Herbert
Steve represents property owners, lenders, and developers in the world of commercial real estate. He handles large, sophisticated real estate matters, as well as more routine sale and leasing arrangements. Steve has expertise in many types of real estate transactions, including acquisitions; development; sales and tax deferred exchanges of properties; formation of partnerships, limited liability companies, and joint ventures; financing arrangements; commercial leases; and condominium projects.
In the real estate financing area, Steve's projects have included construction loans, permanent financing, and more specialized lending arrangements, such as non-recourse loans, conduit loans, housing tax credit projects, mezzanine financing, and other subordinate financing. In commercial lending, Steve represents both lenders and borrowers in a variety of secured and unsecured financings, including venture capital investments, and bond financing.
Steve serves as an advocate and adviser for closely-held businesses for general corporate matters as well as strategic and business management issues. For many years, Steve has served as President and CEO of Coolidge Wall Co., L.P.A. This experience and his exposure to a variety of businesses and non-profit entities provide Steve with a broad perspective to help clients avoid and solve legal and other business problems.
Steve is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Real Estate Law (1989-2017) and Banking and Finance (2015) and was named Best Lawyers Real Estate Lawyer of the Year for the Dayton area in 2010. He also has been named a Super Lawyer® in Real Estate Law. Steve was selected by his peers four years in a row for "Best of the Bar," a program sponsored by the Dayton Business Journal.
Community Leadership Activities
- YMCA of Greater Dayton, Board of Directors (1995 - present), Chairman (2002-2004)
- Enterprise Ohio Investment Company, Board of Directors (1982-present)
- United Way of Dayton, Chairman of the Board (2015-present), Board of Directors (2013-present), Campaign Committee (2008-2013), Vice Chairman (2014)
- Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra, Board of Directors (1994-2000)
- Miami Valley Venture Association, Board of Directors (1995-2006)
- Yale Club of Dayton, Member of Schools Committee (1980-2005), Chairman (1995-2004)
- Greater Dayton Rowing Association, Board of Directors (1990-present)
- Dayton Rowing Foundation, Board of Directors (1994-present)
- Widows Home Foundation, Board of Directors (1998-2001)
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Corporate & Business Law
- Franchise Law
- Financing Transactions
- Ohio, 1978
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia
- J.D. - 1978
- Law Review: University of Virginia, Editorial Board, Member, 1976 - 1978
- Yale University
- B.A. - 1974
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Dayton Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- Lawyers Club of Dayton