Coolidge Wall Co., L.P.A.
Phone : 937-608-9464 | Toll Free : 877-422-0702

September 2016 Archives

How an attorney can help you protect your business

Running a business is an incredible undertaking. On any given day, a business owner needs to tackle matters related to employment, compensation, finances, customer service and business transactions, all while taking into account what is best for the company.

The Defend Trade Secrets Act - A Brief Overview

On May 11, 2016, the Defend Trade Secrets Act ("DTSA") became federal law. The DTSA is intended to promote uniform protection for trade secrets, not unlike federal protections afforded to trademarks, copyrights, and patents. Before the DTSA was enacted, the law of trade secrets was primarily governed by state law (many states adopted a version of the Uniform Trade Secrets Act, but standards vary from state to state). The DTSA applies to trade secret misappropriation occurring on or after May 11, 2016 provided the trade secrets are related to a product or service used in or intended for use in interstate or foreign commerce.

Claim Limits in Ohio Small Claims Court Increase to $6,000 - How to Protect Your Business

Beginning September 27, 2016, small claims courts throughout Ohio will be able to hear cases with damage claims of up to $6,000. For decades, access to small claims courts has been limited to those cases with damages of $3,000 or less. The notable 100% increase marks the first increase seen in Ohio in nearly twenty years and puts the Buckeye State more on track with the national average for small claims courts nationwide.

Student Loan Discharge in the wake of ITT Technical Institutes Closure

Opportunities to wash away federal student loans are few and far between. There are some limited opportunities, even outside of bankruptcy, to get relief from the burdens of federal student loans.

So You Want to Start a Charity

Everyday people want to know if they can to turn an activity they enjoy into a tax-exempt charity. Probably the most common reason people want to create a tax-exempt charity is to receive tax deductible donations. To receive tax deductible donations, the organization would have to be exempt under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3). For an organization to be exempt under Section 501(c)(3), the organization has to meet certain basic requirements.