- planning and executing strategic growth initiatives and related transactions,
- solving complex business problems,
- developing long-term transition and exit strategies, and
- providing comprehensive legal, strategic and operational advice and counsel to private and public companies.
Doug has worked in several industries in the US and internationally, including automotive retail, advanced materials manufacturing, distribution, healthcare delivery, regenerative medicine, software, services and emerging technologies.
Doug's corporate development and operational experience includes business strategy and planning and successfully executing domestic and cross-border acquisitions, strategic partnerships, reorganizations, capital raisings and liquidity events. He has engineered and led various organic growth strategies, including international expansion in Europe, Asia, Central America, South America and Australia while maintaining ultimate P&L responsibility for the underlying operations.
Doug's legal work spans the full life cycle of a business from initial structuring and capital formation to exit planning and realization. Much of his legal work is concentrated on structuring, negotiating and closing transactions that often determine business success or failure - acquisitions, divestitures, debt and equity financings, joint ventures, strategic partnerships, technology licensing, sourcing and distribution.
Doug particularly enjoys working with closely-held companies of all sizes as a lawyer and business advisor to help them strategize, plan and execute the steps necessary to overcome the natural growth hurdles they will encounter and to transform their businesses over time. His prior roles enable him to bring a unique strategy-driven and outcomes-oriented perspective to legal and business counseling, and the shared experience of having to meet a P&L.
Areas Of Practice
- Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Strategic Partnerships
- Investments and Joint Ventures
- Licensing and Distribution
- Ohio, 1985
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D. - 1985
- University of Notre Dame
- B.S. - 1982
- Major: Chemistry
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ohio State Bar Association