Corporate Landlords: Why You Must Have an Attorney File and Handle Your Eviction Actions

In Litigation by Coolidge Wall

The statute governing forcible entry and detainer claims, often referred to as evictions, allows landlords to file complaints against their tenants for a number of different reasons, including breaching a lease agreement, failing to pay rent, or engaging in illegal drug activity. If the landlord is a corporation, that corporation is required to be represented by an attorney in filing complaints for eviction and appearing before the Court. Non-lawyers are not permitted to file legal papers or represent the interests of a corporation before a Court except under very limited circumstances which do not apply to eviction actions. See /blog/2016/09/claim-limits-in-ohio-small-claims-court-increase-to-6000–.shtml.

By filing a complaint for eviction or appearing at an eviction hearing on behalf of a corporation, without an attorney, you could be engaging in the unauthorized practice of law. The unauthorized practice of law is defined as “[t]he rendering of legal services for another by any person not admitted to practice in Ohio.” Gov.Bar R. VII(2)(A)(1). If found to be engaging in the unauthorized practice of law, an individual could sanctioned and required to pay penalties of up to $10,000 per offense in addition to other costs and consequences.

To avoid these penalties and to ensure your eviction is handled properly, consult with an attorney in your area that regularly handles these types of cases. At Coolidge Wall, we strive to meet the needs of our clients, including handling and facilitating their eviction matters. Please give us a call at 937-223-8177 or send an email to to learn more.